Thursday, August 21, 2008

USA SOCCER and my new dream job!

WOW- I know I say every night is the best night ever, but last night may have been it! But before we get to that- a few things real quick:
The IOC has has FIG to look into gymnasts ages after new information came to light- I told you so! I'm not saying these girls aren't amazing and they shouldn't be allowed to compete- but the age is 16. I don't get how people think they can cheat and get past the olympics. I just don't get it. Nothing is official yet, but we'll see in a few days or weeks. I believe eventually things come out and the people that work hard and don't bend the rules will come out on top. I'm sure it doesn't always work like this, but I'd like to have faith things work this way.
Also I forgot to mention a few of my friends went back to the bud house tuesday night and saw the one and only Michael Phelps. Of course he was surrounded and behind red velvet the whole night, from what I'm told. The interesting part is that they saw him smoking. I know there has been a lot written about how he's going to be on the Kelloggs box and not Wheaties-and how that's not good because it's less healthy and what is he telling kids. That first of all is stupid! Secondly, who wouldn't want to be on wheaties? and thirdly sugared cereal is not the least of his worries if he is going to be smoking in public. I don't know the kid obviously, but at least be smart enough not to do it at a party where over 50% of people are high profiled journalists. I mean maybe that's just me, but who is his media coach? I don't know, maybe he just wanted one cigarette after 4 years of training, but it's a little disappointed for me at least.
So, onto the fun part! Last night at work I got there and after about an hour my friends Lauren and Paige come in and tell me they have an extra ticket to the women's soccer final. After begging (ok really asking because she loves me) Wendy to get off early we run across to the IBC to meet up with Lauren's friend, who is currently working for NBC. He got us into the NBC combine! This consists of every NBC set you see, except for the today show. AMAZING! We then got to go to their cafeteria where Ryan (Lauren's friend) tells us everything is free and to eat up. They have chefs there preparing stuff and amazing food. Not to mention a ice cream bar and a STARBUCKS. Let's just say I stared at just about everyone in the cafeteria and ate everything! I couldn't fall asleep last night thanks to free starbucks. Ryan graduated from MU my freshman year and worked for a sports marketing company then went to grad school at UWV and now has my dream job for a little over a month. He works from 5am to 5pm and is assigned 6 sports (softball, baseball, fencing, archery, and I forget the other two) anyways he follows these sports and the writers come in and ask him any question they have. He is paid to watch sports and know things, or at least where to find them. UM, sounds kind of dorky, but this would be amazing! It was great talking to him throughout the soccer game and hopefully that won't be the last time we see him on the trip!
So then we go to the Women's soccer final! I'm sure everyone watched it, or at least knows the outcome (we won in overtime 1-0) We were so close and I can't believe I was actually there! It was amazing and a dream come true! I will put up pictures soon.
We got back at about 1:30 so nixed the idea of going out and instead woke up early and came to a nice coffee shop. So now I'm sitting in the middle of China and have been watching the boy at the next table- who looks american or european- study and write in mandarin----which I am fascinated with! Seriously I wish I knew a different language. I work tonight then tomorrow go to canoe kayak tomorrow with Allie- after that I will want to play soccer, run, and buy a kayak to prepare for London! The Olympics just excite me and I have been SO lucky to go to so many events! I guess that's it for now! It's my last friday in China, and that is just too weird. As exited as I will be to get home, I'm really going to miss this!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Whit:

WOW! How exciting to get to be there for that fantastic finish. Does sound like a job right up your alley.

Susan & Jim said...

I don't know, Karen. In Whitney's own words, Ryan "is paid to watch sports and know things". I think Whitney needs a job where she's paid to watch sports and have opinions.

-Susan