Sunday, August 17, 2008

A few minutes to spare

I have a few spare minutes this afternoon- My work schedule is 8pm- midnight the next few days, so hopefully I can do a little sightseeing that I haven't gotten around to yet. I want to start of by saying that yesterday was AMAZING. I went to work at noon and got off at around 3 (super unexciting because it was trampoline and no journalists were covering that). I stayed down on the green with Kelly, one of the Missouri girls I work with. We went to the olympic store, but just the outside because there was a 45 min. wait to get inside. THen we waked down to TGIFridays, which just so happened to be closed. This is the thing about CHina, when I think something is very logical (example: TGIFRIDAY on the green being open because why would you build a restaurant and not open it for the olympics) Well anyways, if it's logical- then it's doesn't really work and it's the opposite. I have thankfully gotten use to this and so now I laugh instead of get upset when things like this happen. Anyways we grabbed ourselves some Mcdonalds (the only option on the green) and then headed to the birdsnest. It is absolutely amazing. We got to see some long jump, the women's heptathlon, and of course the men's 100 meter finals. I was a little disappointed that Gay didn't even qualify, but Bolts run was one of the most amazing athletic moments I've ever witnessed! I hope everyone got to see it. Of course watching Phelps get his 8th this morning was pretty cool too, a little closer than I thought it was going to be. It's funny, I think I've started becoming a local. The past 2 days were some of the best weather days we've had yet in Beijing. Walking on the green yesterday, while everyone else was taking pictures of the birdsnest and staring in awe, I was taking pictures of the mountains. It's only about 2 or 3 days a month that the mountains have been visible- I forget they're there almost everyday. It was just funny that I was more excited about that than the birdsnest, but I guess that's what happens when you see it everyday.

It's so weird to think I've been here almost 7 weeks and a week from now I'm going to start thinking about packing! It's funny because before I left, when I was at dinner with my parents, we were all guessing what I would miss the most. I was guessing food, but I am happy to report as much as I am excited for a giant salad and some fruit when I get home, that isn't the thing I miss the most. I have to say I miss the sky and breathing the most. Really hazy smoggy days can put you in a bad mood. I've seen 2 stars the whole time I've been here- and I know I'm in a big city- but half the time I can't even see the top of the buildings. I also really miss driving a lot. I love public transportation but I'm really ready to hop in my car and drive myself places. Also being able to communicate with anyone and everyone. I've gotten really good at hand signals and pointing, but I can't wait to be checking out somewhere or ordering food somewhere and knowing what exactly I'm ordering. I of course miss people the most, but those are a few things that I have really come to miss. There are a lot of things I'll miss about China too, and I'm sure as the next 2 weeks fly by they will hit me . I'll share them at a later date, but for now its laundry and I might start to get organized for packing! yeah, probably not, but I figured I'd make my mom happy for a split second. And, if anyone has any gift requests from China get them in soon!

5 comments:

Susan & Jim said...

I definitely want an Olympic/Bejing t-shirt .... maybe one that says "My kid and my credit card went to the Olympics"

mom

Susan & Jim said...

Whit that is what you get for getting mom excited about packing one minute then dashing her excitement in the next minute.

Unknown said...

I want a Gold Medal. Enter an event, win a Gold (not Silver) medal and give it to me.

Karen said...

Whit:

I am so much enjoying hearing all about your adventures. Cool that I know someone over there experiencing what we are seeing on T.V.

Unknown said...

Karen is too nice. She wants a gold medal, too. Make that two gold medals, please!