Monday, August 4, 2008

Organizing Workroom 2

I had a great day at work. My morning started off well when I arrived at the venue and we were given tickets so we could receive coke at lunch. My group was so excited about it that they went and got them at 10 am. You could chose between coke and juice and I was the only one out of 15 to get Coke. One Chinese girl told me it was too sweet. Lets just say that I unfortunately didn't find it too sweet and am excited for diet coke and crystal light when I get home- I've gained at least 10 pounds so far and it may just be from the pop I've drank! I know this doesn't seem like a huge deal- but it was a good start.

The second main highlight was the fact we got wristbands. They are exactly like livestrongs but the writing is in chinese. The other volunteers told me it said something about smiling and volunteering. I got 5- one for each color of the olympic ring. Lets just say I'm pretty stoked and may share. Wendy also gave me 3 posters that didn't fit on the walls. I have to say she is so amazing and loves me! Great news considering she gave me a snickers and coffee (I'm turning into my mom and drinking coffee daily haha) and I have a feeling she'll save my life and sanity a few times in the next 3 weeks.

I had lunch today with 3 girls in my group and learned a lot about them and their lives. I always get asked if I have siblings and always brag about Wes and Will ( and Em and Lenny!) Today I was surprised to find out 2 of the 3 girls had younger brothers. I of course ask too many questions and innocently ask what the rules are for that and they were very candid. This is what I learned:
*A large majority of chinese are one nationality (the word they used) these people can only have one child- if they have more than one they "must pay a lot of money" (I would have totally be worth it- Will maybe not)
*The other nationalities (they told me there were 58 total nationalities but over 90% where the one- not sure if these numbers are 100% correct.....translation!) these people can have as many children as they want
*The past I found most interesting was that there is a "new" rule that if you are of the majority nationality and are an only child and you marry an only child, you are allowed to have 2 children. The only child in the group was very excited about this- I'm guessing she would say no to a guy if he wasn't an only child.

These girls also told me they live with 6 girls in a room and must go outside to the public restrooms-they were very jealous of where I was staying.

I have many stories about the media from today including NBC commentators, canadian gymnasts, and hot guys from ESPN Brazil- but I am unable to blog about it. If you're interested email me and I will forward you the email that I emailed my parents- or bug them and they can forward it to you. All I'll say that I smiled and said "Welcome to China" many times as people were cursing under their breath. I did get an unofficial promotion to supervisor of the workroom and Wendy told me that I now get to talk to any foreign media because they are nicer and handle talking to me better.

My afternoon was capped of by getting passed a note like I was in middle school inviting me to go shopping tomorrow on our day off. I said yes and have that to look forward to tomorrow. They are also taking me to Hot Pot and maybe a film. They said they were excited to give me a "happy day". I'll try to update you in the next few days and leave your email address on comments if you want to hear the details of work!

2 comments:

Susan & Jim said...

I want to know of the secret invitation was from a Chinese student, or a (rich) Brazilian ESPN reporter?

Unknown said...

When you're done I'm going to need you to organize Workroom #3. I don't think you're capable of organizing Workroom #1 just yet.