Monday, August 25, 2008

How many nationalities can I be in 24 hours?

I had a pretty eventful last 2 days of the Olympics and I'm VERY sad it's over! Only 72 hours left in China- I can't believe I can count down by hours and not days or weeks! I'm very excited to get home and see everyone, but that was such a fast 8 weeks!

Saturday I went to canoe kayak races with Allie. Her dream is to hear the canadian national anthem played at the olympics, and they were suppose to win men's kayak singles. We got there early and found a group of rowdy canadians to sit with, unfortunately Canada came in second. It was a great experience being canadian for the day and the people we sat with were great.

When we got home a few of our friends were going to the Holland House for the night to celebrate a birthday. I had heard such great things about this place, so I figured it was my last saturday night in China. (this thinking may end up hurting me in the next 4 days and I may sleep for about 10 days when I get back!) I can't describe the place. Dutch people are beautiful and I think I'm going to marry one! It was like 100 barbie and ken's walking around! The men's rowing team put on a dance for us and they had a live band playing old school music! Lots of Queen and Abba. We headed home early- but all in all it was a great night and I will be visiting the Netherlands very shortly.

Yesterday was my last day of work and it was really sad to say goodbye to everyone! We've had handball at our venue the last 4 days and it has been interesting. According to Wes, he thinks he could play handball, so we'll be seeing him in London in 1012- be prepared! Anyways I went up to watch the men's final (France v. Iceland!) and I was standing right next the the French cheering section. Lets just say I stood a few rows away from the men swim team and it was the coolest cheering section I've ever seen. They were not silent for more than 30 seconds the whole game and were waving flags and baguettes! It was just historical and I now would like to be canadian, dutch, and french after the last few days. Last night we went straight from work to this restaurant to watch the closing ceremonies where we met a few english and french guys. Great times and I'm really going to miss being able to meet people from literally everywhere.

This is kind of a weak blogpost, but I'm going to go enjoy my last monday in China and will try to write one or 2 more times before I leave! Everyone have a great first day of classes today!

2 comments:

Susan & Jim said...

Speaking of The Netherlands, I just read "Murder in Amsterdam" .... ummmmm you might want to read it, too, before you book your plane ticket.

m-w said...

Dagur wants to hear about the game - he was really bummed when it was not on tv as advertised! Welcome home, Whitney.
Aunt Jean and Uncle Bob