Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Closing time

So, it's 9 pm and we leave for the airport at 11am tomorrow morning. After buying another suitcase and apologizing to my father for the fact that my big suitcase will be well over the allowed 50 pounds, I AM PACKED. I don't mean kind of packed, I mean I have my clothes laid out and all I need to do is wake up tomorrow. I'm pretty proud of myself to be completely honest.

The last two days I have tried to get all the last minute things done. Yesterday a group of us decided to go to the great wall again. This was by far my favorite thing I have seen in China (I guess that's not a huge surprise). We went to a different part of the wall, which was a lot less commercialized. (no Starbucks at the bottom) We rode a gondola up the mountain then hiked around the wall for about 3 hours. We met a German student who is working for the embassy over here for a bit, it amazes me some of the people you just randomly meet. Paige, Lauren and I were of course in love with his accent and talked to him for probably 30 minutes and I'm surprised we didn't ask him to come back to America with us. Paige told me after we left him that she just likes Europeans now, good thing she's studying in Italy second semester! The best part of the day was we got to ride toboggans down the mountain. I will post pictures as soon as I get good internet again, but that might not be until I get back to Columbia.

Last night we had a goodbye party at Pyro's Pizza, a local pizza shop that kind of adopted us while we were over here. It's the bar that has beer pong, so Allie and I played for old times sake and went 4-4 (I know Wes is super proud right now). We came home pretty early and I quickly went to bed! A day at the great wall will do that to you! I really wish I could have just stayed there for a few days, but I'll just have to come back at some point.

Today I got up early and went with my friend Matt to the Temple of Heaven (the last thing on the list I had to do). On the way I made the mistake of saying I couldn't wait for Columbia because there won't be thousands of people everywhere I go. I have been to a lot of big cities, but that was one of the hardest things to get use to. In New York you can find someplace that is not like 100000000 people on one little part of the street. There are just so many people here. All I said was that it will be nice to get back to Columbia where there are a lot less people and cars will stop for me. Well, I have gotten use to saying whatever I want and assuming people don't speak English.....wrong. This guy heard me and started talking to me. He told me that he didn't think Americans don't really know China and etc. etc..... I told him politely I like China and have loved my time here, I'm just ready to get home. He lectured me on the one child policy before he got off. I just am going to have to remember people can understand me in 24 hours! I didn't say anything bad or very offensive, but I will have to remember that people will speak english in about 18 hours.

Anyways, with my luck in China the Temple of Heaven was "closed for olympic ceremonies". Nothing is ever logical here- or at least what I consider logical. I was able to get onto the grounds, just not go into the temple. It was still really cool, but I learned my lesson on not waiting for the last minute. We met a group of people for lunch then Allie and I went and treated ourselves to a last minute very cheap massage. I figured I'll be on a plane for 14 hours then 3 hour layover then 1 hour flight then 2 hour car ride tomorrow- so it will be rough. I've very excited to see my mom tomorrow at hopefully 8pm!

I guess this will be my last blog in China. In the next few days I'll try to write one last wrap up blog for anyone that's intersted, but for now I'm exhausted and going to get up and get breakfast at 6 am tomorrow. See you all soon!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Whit:

It sounds like you have had an experience of a lifetime that you will not soon forget! Hope your travels go well and you are on time tomorrow to see your Mom. The family is looking forward to seeing you and hearing stories. So plan a trip home soon!

Love, AuntKaren