Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One Week....

First of all I just woke up and read Rick Reilly's newest article, which kind of describes what I've witnessed in the past 2 months. Although I love China, I can't deny any of this and it's why the last two months have been quite frustrating. I would suggest reading it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3542649
Luckily for me ESPN is not one of the news sites they have me blocked at.

Ok, on to real things! Wes sent me an awesome article on Ben this morning:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?id=3544007&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

We went to see him yesterday morning. He came out for his first match and lost the first round, we got a little nervous. He came out in the second round and pinned the guy in 30 seconds. His second match was against Cuba (if you read the article, he was a medalist in the last olympics- but we didn't really know anything about wrestling yesterday) . He lost the first round, won the second and lost the last one. It was disappointing- I'm sure very much for him- but it was cool to watch someone from our school compete in the OLYMPICS. Pretty insane!

After that Allie and I went to the green and snuck into the MPC (Main Press Center). How we accomplished this was turned our credentials around, waited for a busload of journalists, walked in the middle of them on our cell phones and didn't stop for anyone. This was amazing once we got in! I ate real fish for lunch- it didn't have skin, bones, or eyes on it. It was just magical! I hope BOCOG is embarrassed by what they feed us! We also went to the VOCOG and LOCOG offices and picked up information....maybe I can just become an olympic volunteer for the rest of my life? Mom and Dad don't worry, we asked about paying jobs! Anyways the MPC was fun and I might have to sneak in again to get real food!

Yesterday was the Gymnastics Gala. This is I guess the 2nd or 3rd hardest and most expensive ticket to get in the olympics (behind the opening and maybe closing ceremonies). I went up to the press tribune and watched it with a few of my friends. This was one of the most interesting things ever. THe gold medalists and other medalists preformed 30 second routines and in between those were different Chinese like dance routines and in parts I felt like I was in Bring It On. It was definitely a very interesting thing to watch. After that we went down on the actual floors and played on the different equipment. Let me just say- the beam is a lot higher and harder than it seams and the floor is like a trampoline! It was so fun then they tore the equipment down to set up for handball. Let me also say that I saw the whole chinese team in person. THOSE GIRLS ARE NOT 16. There is no way at all, they look little on t.v., but being beside them! The are for sure younger than my lovely cousin Taylor, who has a few years until 16 if I remember correctly. I don't care I wasn't that young looking (I'm not just talking about size) when I was even in 8th grade- and I look like I'm 16 still! They put so much make-up on those girls, but I won't be surprised if in about a month or 2 a few of those girls get their medals taken back.

Last night we went to a mexican restaurant and watched Bolt win the 200. He is amazing! I'm so glad I got to see his 100 win in person. Today Handball starts at our venue! I know nothing about the sport- but it will be so fun I'm sure!

3 comments:

Susan & Jim said...

What I find ironic is that if the CHinese are so much into following orders and not bucking the rules, as you have described, why would they do so in this high-profile international competition. Maybe 'cause they can get away with it(no birth certificates in China, OR the government can forge birth records). And besides, Nadia Commenici was only 14 or 15 when she won the Gold in 1976. Did anybody complain?

Susan & Jim said...

Did you tell the folks at VOCOG or LOCOG that you're available in January?

Anonymous said...

Whitney, I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures! In response to your question about what anyone would like from the Olympics, Drew would like Shawn Johnson's phone number! Maddie would like an Olympic t-shirt in a cool color, (maybe long sleeve?) We're so proud of you!