Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Free days!

First I would like to start off by giving you a link to Allie's pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/acb4hf

Facebook will work here for like 10 min. then stop, so it's been hard to load pictures. I will start a website like this though so it's easier and you can see them. Probably later today. Yesterday morning we went to the zoo. It was not the best zoo I've been too- we didn't see many animals out or looking extremely healthy, but it was interesting. They have a bunch of panda's there (the main reason we went) they use to be at a panda reserve, but that was ruined with the earthquakes in May so they have moved them to Beijing for the time being. There were sings up everywhere for donations because they are going to try to move them back to the wild reserve as quick as they can.

In the afternoon we went with Bowen (the grad student with us who is from Beijing) He took us to all these shops that tourists don't go to. Allie and I would go in and see what we wanted go outside and tell Bowen and he would get it for us very cheaply. We got some good finds. During the time we were there Bowen some how lost his cell phone. Now anyone that knows me knows I am the queen of losing cell phones. I tried to cheer Bowen up by telling him that I lost mine in a cab in NYC and at a store on Hollywood BLVD and each time got it back. We called it, someone picked up then hung up and turned the phone off. He explained that phones here you can sell for a lot of money and we weren't at the nicest and friendliest of places when we were shopping. So Allie and I felt so bad Bowen currently has my phone and we took him out to his favorite restaurant to cheer him up. We went to a Korean BBQ place and I have to say it was the most amazing meal I have had so far. A little spicy, and I surprisingly tried everything on the table (which was a lot of food) they cooked it right on the table and it was amazing.

When we got back we ventured to Matt and Marks room - they are kind of our adventure buddies. We ended up walking 45 min. to WalMart- I was so surprised to see it actually said Wal-Mart outside. It was 4 floors and out of all for floors they had NO pretzels.....the only thing I have been craving since I've been here. We got chocolate cake instead and took a taxi back to the room and ate it. We then passed out after such a long few days.

Today is another free day and Allie and I decided to sleep in and take it easy. She's working out and I cleaned the room a bit- We're going to go to the temples when she gets back and then maybe meet the boys at the night market. WE shall see how that goes. The next few days are super busy, heres the emailed schedule we got:

BOCOG TOURS (Reserve entire day)
Friday, July 11
• Beijing Water Purification Plant
• Lunch (Included)
• Beijing Suburbs
• Dinner at Quan Ju De (Included)

Saturday, July 12
• The Great Wall
• Lunch (Included)
• Ming Dynasty Tomb
----- Dinner on you own --------

Sunday, July 13
• Yuan Ming Yuan Park
• Lunch (Included)
• Summer Palace
---- Rest/Break ------
----- Dinner on you own ------
• Chang An Opera Theatre


Monday we have another free day and I start work Tuesday. I will try to update a little each night. I am most excited for the Great Wall!!!! But the Opera is suppose to be amazing!

Ok I'm going to go shower and get ready for the day- only 7 weeks left. I think I'll really miss China surprisingly....maybe even the food! haha. As my dad said this morning "enjoy the adventure".....I will surely do that and it is truly a huge adventure

1 comment:

Karen said...

Whit:

So glad you are having such a good time and I am looking forward to hearng about what you are doing and seeing. Can't wait to hear all about the Great Wall!

Karen