Wednesday, July 23, 2008

All the things I can't describe

Ok, sorry for the delay. I've been at a loss of how to describe what is going on with my life in China. (I know my family is laughing right now because I don't think I've ever been at a loss for words) I would like to preface this post with the fact I would not take back coming to China and I'm glad I came here. I have met some of the coolest people, and this is even before athletes and reporters have gotten here. This trip has been amazing and I have learned a lot about China, how things work, and myself. Over the past week I have learned a lot about China, the government here, the way the olympics is being run in China (I don't know if this is how past olympics have been run), and the Missouri School of Journalism. I have had a week of ups and downs and have remained positive until about today- and I'm still positive, I'm in China at the Olympics, but I feel like I at least have a very realistic mindset about how things are going. I apologize that most of my blogs have been super long and I have written them at the end of the day when I'm exhausted and it's just me venting. I just don't know how to even begin to wrap my head around or describe to you what is going on- it's taken me a few hours and phone calls to my mom and little brother in Africa (who is doing great by way for anyone that knows him- since this is mostly my family reading this) We joked that we both had great stories that we could only tell each other after we left our respected countries- So Will, I'm very excited to see you in 5 and 1/2 weeks. So I'll begin to try to explain our lives right now:

Sunday I went back to training and was told I didn't really need to be there until today, because all the training would be in chinese. Basically I am the only completely english speaking person working in the press workroom. I am with three other girls, who are in different rooms (press conference room, mixed zone-where athletes get interviewed, etc.) Anyways we were picked by whoever we are ultimately working for showing our advisors (the people in charge of the room) everyone from Missouri's pictures. My advisor chose my picture out of the bunch and now I'm in the press workroom- Thank you Missouri for allowing me to go through 2 days of what turned out to be worthless testing. So, I will be working with about 15 chinese students from different universities. These students and my boss, Wendy, have been so great and helpful. One girl sat there with me today and tried to translate everything for me. Through all the frustrating stuff, China has so many great people and things to offer- it's just hard to remember that when you're constantly dealing with people that aren't so great. (I'm sure it's that way in ANY country)

Monday I went on an adventure with my friend Eric to a little shopping area with a lake. We met a few friends down there and took out a boat and then had dinner and drinks in the area. Props to Eric for eating Chicken Foot- don't worry at some point there will be great pictures. Anyways it was a great change of pace and really good to enjoy China and the people I'm with- there are some people I'm so glad I've gotten the opportunity to meet.

Tuesday I ran some errands while Allie was at training. See Allie got switched to synchronized swimming from being an assistant at field hockey. She had to go to field hockey on tuesday to get her uniform and after arriving at 8 am the person she was suppose to work for put her in a room where she had to sit until 4pm- Long story short Allie's job description included cleaning this ladies office and she never got her uniform. The lady told her that she was going to block Allie from getting transfered and I will just say Allie was so happy when she got home. You can feel free to check out her blog at: http://www.bennettinbeijing.blogspot.com/
Anyways when she got home we ventured to a beautiful park and enjoyed a few drinks with Eric- who got stuck with us because he is quite good at finding his way around the subway.

That leaves us to today- where in the morning we got handouts and training books- all in Chinese. Then lunch- which is a chinese tv dinner- I enjoyed a nice banana and pb &j sandwitch I snuck in. THe lunch was 3 hours long and it took us 20 min to eat. What do you do with the other 2 hours or so? Nap of course, and for all of you that know me well would think that this would be great- but I'm in China, lets get this stuff done and let me go explore elsewhere. In the afternoon we had a 3 hour lecture.....in Chinese

Now I know I"m not really suppose to blog about what I'm doing, but I'm having a harder time caring exactly who hears me say what. This might not come as a surprise and I need to be better with it, but it's just how I grew up and I have a hard time not sayint things that I feel strongly on. So I know this post might be a little more negative, but throughout training today all I could do was laugh. It's just so different and honestly I'm excited when the journalist get here, but today? I got a whole paper on how I need to water plants. Now that will get me a job, my ability to not kill plants. How can you not laugh at that? seriously. And if this is a negative rant, please remember I am so happy to be here- I just have to laugh about it. I'm not upset I sat through a 3 hour lecture that I didn't even know one word. It's my fault- I came to China and I didn't know Chinese! WHo does that? I could go on with stories from other people- It could be a lot worse. But right now I need to get to bed- although Allies theory is "It doesn't matter how late I stay up because I can take a 3 hour nap tomorrow"..... It is funny I deal with frustrations with sarcasm (wonder who I got that from) but the Chinese don't really joke around, so I'll make it and Wendy will just get confused then laugh at me. My parents will be proud- I got to explain what a locker is and why one would use it today to over 50 chinese people. If nothing else I'll have some great stories!

I won't let this long go between posts again- its just be a crazy few days. Hope all is well and to the Wrights- sorry I'm missing out on the Pirates game this weekend.... have a blast

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Whit,

Hang in there - the boring unintelligible meetings will make you appreciate the great adventures and Olympic experiences even more.

I wish you could fly back for the weekend and join us at the Pirates game. Maybe we'll leave a plate of olives untouched in your honor.

Just know that I think of you often and wish you the best in everything you're doing!

Susan & Jim said...

It's a bump in the "Great Wall of China" .... but it's still the "Great Wall of China"

your philosophical mother

Karen said...

Hello Whit:

If anyone can get through all the boring stuff it will be you! I was glad to see the new blog because I have been really enjoying hearing about what is going on. I am sure it is frustrating and I am sure you are not the only one that went over there not knowing any Chinese.

We will miss you this weekend and I think Julianne has a great idea, we will leave a plate of olives untouched.

Love,

Aunt Karen

Agler's said...

hey whitney(:

it always could be worse. you could be hanging out with your almost 13 year old cousin taylor!

who is still 3 inches taller than you!

and my mom says hi(:

love,
The aglers

Unknown said...

Whit, I know you want to scream, but you're doing a great job of holding it in.

BTW, here's a link to an IHT article about the decline of hutongs in Beijing:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/23/arts/27ouro.php


Hang in there, it'll start being more fun. Soon.

Chris & Sloan